5 Easy Ways To Identify Whether You Have Hard Water or Not
- Ever disgusted with those tile stains on your bathroom?
- Are you facing skin irritation issues or having major hair fall?
- Whether you clean your glasses or cups still it looks cloudy?
If you are facing these issues we can help you.
The water quality lays significant effects on your health. It not only creates issues with wellbeing but is also responsible for daily household troubles including bathroom stains, clogged pipes, damaged utensils etc. Well, the list is lengthy but all we want to say is hard water affects you adversely.
In this article, we will elucidate hard water identification. The above-mentioned problems you are facing that indicates that you have hard water but if you want to be sure you can perform the easy DIY methods stated in this tutorial. This will help you in confirming water hardness status and will also enlighten you how you can prevent any further damage to your home and health. You can also check out our water softener reviews if you’re looking to get the best water softener system (as per water hardness and quantity).
Method 1: Check for Mineral Scale:
Look at your dishes and faucets after washing, are they clean? This is the easiest way to know whether you have hard or soft water. Check for the hard water signals, like:
- Laundry: Hard water does not clean clothes appropriately. Clothes are dirty and dull they feel stiff too. Soft water cleans clothe and maintains shine.
- Faucets: White scale is developed on faucets after cleaning. When the water evaporates it leaves behind whitish cast behind on shower heads, taps, and sink.
- Utensils: Glass and other cookware also remain stained. A soap film is formed on them which appear dirty.
Method 2: Skin Irritation or Hair fall issues:
The first thing you will notice is skin related issues. Skin becomes dry and develops cracks. This is due to excessive minerals water content. It leads to Eczema especially in children’s. Discontinue hard water usage for bathing if the problem persists. Concentrated minerals like Ca, Mg and fluoride wash out natural oils from the skin causing aridity.
Hairs become dry and split ends increases because scalp oils are damaged by hard water minerals. It also tampers hair follicles causing hair fall and dandruff. The only way to get rid of all problems is to install a water softener.
Method 3: Call Municipal Corporation:
Get consumer confidence report or call the water supply organization of your area. If you use groundwater check the same with your city’s water helpline. Generally, reports are available from water boards which include all the information about area water including water hardness. If you don’t have report call your Municipal Corporation they will tell you more about it.
Method: 4: Quick In-Home Testing:
Materials Required: Clean water bottle (at least 12-ounce capacity), liquid soap, tap water
Take a clean and empty bottle and fill it with the regular tap water (1/4th). Add a few drops of liquid soap to the bottle and close it tightly. Shake the bottle vigorously for a few seconds. If the water is milky and lacks bubbles the water is hard because soft water has copious bubbles and rest water is clear. It is advised to use mild detergents or soaps while performing this DIY as strong detergents may perform well with hard water giving wrong results.
The easiest option is to perform a DIY test at home without going anywhere. This test is, however, a rough estimate and cannot be concluded as accurate as certain detergents create soap froth even in hard water. Still being an easy method and takes a few minutes with the minimum requirement you will be sure that there is some problem with water.
Method 5: Advanced Water Testing:
The DIY bottle test may work for you but as mentioned it is just a basic assessment. To determine water hardness accurately it is recommended to buy a water testing kit. They are available easily in the market for $10 to $20 or request free strips from water-based companies (who offers).
Fill a glass of water and dip the strip straight into it. The strip will change color on which hardness levels are mentioned. Compare it to the hardness chart given on the pack and get the accurate hardness level. Do not use it in running tap water as results are inept.
What is your number?
With over 80 percent of household experiencing hard water issues this test will give you a certain level of hardness. The average number of US is 13 GPG that is considered very hard. And the number exceeding 13 is very hard. Even if you don’t live in hard water zones and use corporation water doesn’t means your water cannot be hard. So, check for your water hardness levels.
How will you benefit after deliberating you has hard water?
The three major benefits of water testing are:
- Better Health: Regular exposure to hard water lays a negative impact on health. A high amount of minerals like calcium and magnesium leads to heart problems, infertility, diarrhea, and eczema. Even those who are prescribed to limit certain minerals also consume an additional amount due to hard water. So, changing your water status can improve overall health.
- Cost Effective: Are you frequently paying repairing bills of home appliances? It is due to concentrated minerals in the water. Yet the increased electricity bill is the signal that water hardness has decreased the efficiency of water-based appliances.
- Improved Skin and Hair Texture: Ditch your shower if you are sure that the water you use is hard. This will help in getting rid of skin and hair related issues. Your skin will again bloom and your hair falls will stop if you use soft water.
Detecting hard water and taking appropriate measures to eliminate it is the initial step to prevent your home from further damage. Generally, water softeners are recommended to get rid of hard water permanently. Getting water tested helps you to buy the best water softener for your home according to the water content. Hope this tutorial was helpful. Do share your valuable suggestions.